mybosnia.net

Experience Green Land

Bosnian Pyramid

The Bosnian Pyramid, Visocica Hill, is the first European pyramid to be discovered and is located in the heart of Bosnia, in the town of Visoko.

The pyramid has all the elements: four perfectly shaped slopes pointing toward the cardinal points, a flat top and an entrance complex. On top of the pyramid are also the ruins of a Medieval walled town, once the base of a Bosnian king Tvrtko of Kotromanic (1338-1391). Because of its similarities to the Pyramid of the Sun in Teotihuacan, Mexico, it has been named the “Bosnian Pyramid of the Sun” ('Bosanska Piramida Sunca'). There are also a four more ancient structures on the site, the Bosnian Pyramid of the Moon ('Bosanska Piramida Mjeseca'), Bosnian Pyramid of the Dragon ( 'Bosanska Piramida Zmaja'), Bosnian Pyramid of the Love ('Bosanska Piramida Ljubavi') and Temple of the Earth, ('Hram Zemlje').'We have already dug out stone blocks which I believe are covering the pyramid', said Semir (Sam) Osmanagic, a Bosnian American archaeologist who has spent the last 15 years studying the pyramids of Latin America. 'We found a paved entrance plateau and discovered underground tunnels'

Towers

Clock Tower in Gradacac

Gradacac’s clock tower is located in the old town of Gradacac within the walls of the fortress near Gradacac’s tower. Massively built, and with four stories this clock tower is a national monument of Bosnia and Herzegovina as a part of larger complex. The clock tower was built by Husein-kapetan (captain) in 1824. and represents his most significant contribution to the town. The basis of the object is 5,5 x 5,5 meters and it’s height is 21,50 meters.


Sarajevo's Clock Tower

Sarajevo’s clock tower is located near Gazi Husrev-Beg (Bey) Mosque and is one of the largest clock towers in Bosnia and Herzegovina. It was built in the 17th century. After the fire in 1697., when it was burnt down under the onslaught of Eugene of Savoy, the clock tower was rebuilt, as well as 1762.
After the Austro-Hungarian occupation, the upper part of the building was annexed, and the clock was brought from London by two Sarajevo’s merchants in 1874., because the old Turkish hour, which was once on this tower, wore out. The old clock was brought to Vratnik in Vratnicka Mosque.
The clock on the tower is brand Gillett & Johnston, and was made in London in 1873.
Builder of the tower is Gazi Husrev-Beg, one of the greatest benefactors from the Turkish period. The first written record of it dates from the 17th century. The tower has 76 wooden steps, arranged in a square sequence, which climbs up muvaqqit (man who winds the clock) once a week to adjust the time. The clock must be set, because it shows the time a la turca (lunar clock). It is assumed to be the only one that shows the time by the lunar calendar. This clock shows midnight exactly at the time of sunset in Sarajevo. In the courtyard of Begova Mosque there was muveqqithana, in which, based on precise measurements and container with water, true prayer time was determined.
The clock was repaired in 1967., and the hands and numbers on all four dials were gold plated. During the Islamic holy month of Ramadan when the clock on the tower strikes 24 hours, it’s iftar time. After the first stroke, lamps turn on on minaret of Begova Mosque, and then traditionally cannon fires from Bijela tabija, which marks the end of fasting.


Clock Tower in Pocitelj

Clock Tower in Pocitelj is located in the vicinity of Pocitelj’s Sisman Ibrahim pasina (pasha’s) Mosque and is a national monument of Bosnia and Herzegovina. It was built under the walls of the mosque at the site on which is noticeable in almost all nearby houses.
Considering that in Evlija Celebija’s travels clock tower was not even mentioned, it is assumed that this building was made prior to 1664. The tower is in the form of a square prism measuring approximately 3,22 x3,26 m, about 16 m high. It was built of stone with cut angular pieces and stone pyramid as an ending. Four broken arches are located on all four sides above the openings at the top of the tower. This form of clock tower appears in Pocitelj, Mostar and Stolac. Stylistic and historical characteristics of the clock tower have been fully kept.
Clock Tower in Travnik
Clock Tower on musala (prayer place in the open) in Travnik is one of the two clock-towers in Travnik, which is located in the lower bazaar, a natural plateau below the old town of Travnik, which is the only town in Bosnia and Herzegovina, with two clock-towers. No one knows exactly when this clock tower was built. Two panels with inscriptions on renewal are preserved on it. The tower was rebuilt in 1811. by Bosnian Vizier Hilmi Ibrahim Pasa, and in 1815., Hazin Ibrahim Pasa provided funds for its repair. In the old drawings and engravings of this part of Travnik it can be seen that the clock tower was rebuilt between 1878. and 1892. The fire burned the wooden roof in 1903., after which the clock tower, after fundamental reconstruction, got its present appearance. From 1992. to 1995. musala was damaged during the shelling of Travnik from Vlasic. After the war, its roof with the sub-roof and part where the clock mechanism is located were renovated again.


Clock Tower in Jajce

Clock Tower in Jajce is located in upper town, in upper mahala in Jajce. The tower was built during the Middle Ages as forward tower in front of Jajce fortress. It is assumed to be built during the rule of Hrvoje Vukcic Hrvatinic. The tower’s character of a medieval tower entrance to the suburb is preserved in the whole. It is clearly visible by the old Jajce’s residential agglomeration, but also by the nature and position of the object.
Name of the clock tower is unsuitable for this building because there are no official data on the clock that might have stood there, nor was the tower built for that purpose. Basler also states that there are no data about clock ever standing on it, although certain Hadzo Secercehajic stated that during the Ottoman rule the object actually was modified in the clock tower and the clock mechanism was hung above the gate on the arch on the east side. Sehercehajic family took care of and maintained the clock, whose house was nearby. After the occupation of Bosnia and Herzegovina, the Austro-Hungarian troops took both clock and the bell.
Additionally, Jajce’s clock tower differs from the typical clock towers built in Bosnia and Herzegovina at the time by its height and proportions and is an unique object in this category of objects in Bosnia and Herzegovina.


Clock Tower in Maglaj

Maglaj’s clock tower is located in the entrance of Maglaj’s old town. Completion of construction of this clock tower was on October the 17th, 1697.
Since members of Uzeirbegovic family took care for its repair and maintenance for decades, it’s not excluded that it is one of them who built it. In the second half of the 20th century, Maglaj’s watch maker Mahmud Donlija took care of the clock. The last member of Uzeirbegovic family that repaired this tower was Vasvi-hanuma, wife of Mustajbeg Uzeirbegovic, born Osmanbegovic. By her will, her husband Mustaj-beg and cousin Osman-beg Osmanbegovic bought the bells for the clock towers in Maglaj and Gradacac at the fair in Zagreb in 1923.
In the horizontal section the tower is a square with sides of about 3 m (3.07 m). The height of the clock tower is 17.10 m (rear is 14.77 m). In the central vertical section there are three openings that let the light in the inner part of the building and illuminate the staircase. Openings are placed on the central axis of the window which is about 50 cm wide and is vaulted by arch.
The clock tower is relatively well preserved although the clock mechanism is not in such a good condition today. In the 1950s only five clock towers had clock mechanisms in good condition - in Sarajevo, Prusac, Foca, Maglaj and Tesanj. The first two clocks show time a la turca, and others show Central European Time.

Bridges

Stari Most (The Old Bridge)

Stari Most over Neretva in Mostar is UNESCO’s World Heritage Site, which, when built, was the largest arched structure in the world. It was built in 1566., by Suleiman the Magnificent, and the builder was Mimar Hajrudin. The bridge firmly stood for 427 years until it was destroyed during the war in Bosnia and Herzegovina in 1993. It was restored after the war and reopened for public on 23 July, 2004.


Cuprija (Bridge) in Konjic

Cuprija on Neretva in Konjic is one of the most beautiful bridges from the Turkish period, together with Mostar's Stari Most, Cuprija (Bridge) on Drina in Visegrad and Arslanagica Most (Bridge) in Trebinje. Unfortunately, only Cuprija on Neretva in Konjic was not renewed. The extraordinary cultural and historical monument which, as such found a place on the list of cultural and historical heritage of Bosnia and Herzegovina of national importance, waits for its renewal.


The Bridge in Visegrad

The bridge was built between 1571. and 1577. on the place where the road connected Bosnia and Constantinople over Drina River (known as "Constantinople Dzada (Road)"). Construction of the bridge was entrusted to the most famous Turkish architect, Koca Mimar Sinan, court architect and the supreme builder of the empire, one of the greatest architects of the world. It’s endowment of Mehmed Pasa (Pasha) Sokolovic, the grand vizier of three sultans (1565. - 1579.) - Suleiman the Magnificent, Selim II and Murad III.
It is known that this bridge was repaired around 1664., then in 1875., 1911., 1939., and 1940. During the withdrawal of the Austrians from Visegrad in 1914., one pane was shattered, and the following year, Serbian army destroyed another one during their leaving from Visegrad. Such a condition of the bridge was retained until 1939., when it was brought into proper condition. From 1915. to 1939., the iron construction was placed over the demolished part of the bridge, across which the traffic flowed. During the withdrawal of the Germans in October 1943., that part was destroyed too.


Arslanagica Most (Bridge)

According to archive documents, the bridge over river Trebisnjica, the only at that time, was built in the second half of the sixteenth century, from 1573 to 1574 as the endowment of the Grand Vizier Mehmed Pasa (Pasha) Sokolovic. At the end of the seventeenth century, it was named Arslanagica Most. Its importance was enormous because it was on the only road connection of Bosna to Novi, where they went to trade salt. In 1687., Novi was taken by the Venetians and as the Turks retreated, wealthy and prominent Muslims were given land in Trebinje region. One of them was called Arslan-aga and he got the bridge to administer and collect tax.

Arslan-aga built himself a house near the bridge and the bridge and the village was called after him. By building a road to Dubrovnik economic importance of the bridge fell through, so it represented no longer a source of benefit. First more severe damage on the bridge occurred 1944., when they fought for the liberation of Trebinje. While retreating in a panic, Chetniks mined a left large arch of the bridge to stop the advance of partisans, while the much newer, railroad bridge - packed with explosive that failed to set off remained intact. The bridge experienced following "wounding" in 1965., when was submerged due to the construction of the hydropower system and self-will of communist local leaders (the Serbs)
At the initiative of the Institute for the Protection of Monuments in 1966., the bridge has been removed from the water, and its huge stones was lying on Goricko Polje for a few years, exposed to theft of newly arrived residents who incorporated the stones in the foundations of their houses without second though. Finally in 1972., the bridge was again put up in upright position. It was built within two years at the location between the village of Gradina and Police, and again it continued to serve people, remaining as a cultural monument and a silent witness of a bygone era.

 


Kozija Cuprija (Bridge)

The bridge was built in the 16th century. The inscription which is located near the bridge gives credit to Mehmed Pasa (Pasha) Sokolovic.
Yet, according to local legend, the bridge was built by a shepherd named Mohammed. One day he and his brother Sinan, while tending goats near Jarcedol found a treasure in a cave. They divided it in half, and from that money Mohammed made a bridge, while Sinan built a mosque at Bistrik, which people called Kecedzija (Kec is a Turkish word for goat). Wheter this story was true or not, the bridge was at an important trade route for Sandzak, Macedonia and Istanbul, and was often used until the 19th century.


The Roman Bridge

The Roman Bridge over River Bosna at Ilidza was built in the first half of the 16th century by Ottoman architects using the stone from the ruins of a Roman settlement Aquae Sulphurae. The bridge was rebuilt in the second half of the 16th century.
It is possible that the bridge was built on earlier Roman foundations, and therefore it is said it connects space and time and is one of the most important features of Ilidza. Also, there are countless archaeological sites near Butmir which produced the best described Neolithic culture in Europe.

 

Fortresses

Bobovac Fortress

Bobovac is the most important and the strongest fortified town of the medieval Bosnia. It was built on a sheer, step-like cliff of the southern slopes of Dragovske and Mijakovske Poljice massif, southwest from Vares.
The town was built during the rule of Ban Stjepan II Kotromanic and later was used as a seat of most of the Bosnian rules.

 

Gradina - Doboj Fotress

The fortress and town of Doboj are located in the northern Bosnia around the mouth of the Usora and Spreca Rivers. It represented a central part of the area south from Sava River.
It was a rectangular fortress, with walls almost two meters thick and towers at every corner and gate. The fortress was made from stone blocks.


Srebrenik

The old town - fortress Srebrenik was mentioned for the first time in February, 1333., in an agreement signed by Ban of Bosnia Stefan II and representatives of the Republic of Dubrovnik. The fortress was owned by the ban, and commanders of the town were people from the ban’s court. It changed its rulers several times. During the reign of Tvrtko I Bosnia was at its peak. After his death, Hungary conquered Srebrnik for the first time.


Kastel Fortress

The old fortress Kastel is located in the heart of Banja Luka. It is one of the oldest buildings in Bosnia and Herzegovina.
The surface of Kastel complex is 48.000 square meters. The fortress walls consist of nine bastions and two towers. There are several facilities in the fortress, including a central camp with two towers and a small arsenal, a central arsenal, a so-called stone building and several different walls.

 


Vranduk Fortress

The old town Vranduk with a settlement is located 10 kilometers downstream Zenica. It is situated on the left side of Bosna River.
The town was strategically built on a part of the land elongated like a peninsula, which goes down from the mountain side near Bosna River. Vranduk was the door of the Bosnian Kingdom towards the northern area controlled by Hungarians. It had a strategic importance in the Middle Ages. After Ottomans conquered this area, it was turned into a small merchant settlement between the central and north Bosnia.

Mosques

Ferhadija in Banja Luka

Ferhat-Pasa’s (Pasha’s) or better known as Ferhadija Mosque was the central building in Banja Luka. Built in 1579. in the classical Ottoman style, it was one of the most successful architectural works of Bosnian architecture of the 16th century. Its architect is unknown but it is known that he was a student of the Ottoman architect Mimar Sinan. Construction of the mosque was funded by Bosnian Sanjak beg (bey) Ferhat Pasa Sokolovic.

In the complex of Ferhadija there were also located: three burial chalbers, of Ferhat-Pasa, his grandchild Safikaduna and his standard bearers, iron and stone wall with a fountain on the corner, and fountain and an old cemetery in the garden. Later, the complex is complemented with a clock tower built near Ferhadija. The mosque was 18 m wide, 14 m long, and the top of the dome was 18 m high. The minaret was 43 m high. Ferhadija was included in the cultural heritage of Bosnia and Herzegovina in 1950. and later was included on the list of World Heritage at UNESCO (the highest category of cultural monuments).

 


Karadozbegova Mosque in Mostar

Karadozbegova Mosque is the biggest and one of the most beautiful mosques in Herzegovina. It is located in Mostar, in Fejica Brace street. It was built in 1557-1558, according to the designs of the famous Ottoman architect Sinan. Supervisor and major donor was Mostar’s patron Mehmed beg (bey) Karadoz, brother of legendary Ottoman vizier Rustem Pasa (Pasha) Opukovica. Beside the mosque, Mehmed-beg built madrasa (school), as well as other facilities in Mostar. Karadozbegova Mosque suffered major and severe damage during the double aggression against Mostar and Bosnia and Herzegovina, but during the restoration of Stari Most (the Old Bridge) and the old city core of Mostar from 2002. to 2004. was rebuilt and opened in July,  2004.


Adilbegova Mosque in Sarajevo

For decades at the site of the present mosque was a masjid, or mosque without a minaret, until 1989., when the new mosque was built, which stood out by particularly beautiful and unique minaret. Today's mosque is very similar to the mosque of that time, and was made on the same ground. At the beginning of the aggression on Bosnia and Herzegovina, Sarajevo came under siege and under the fury of the enemy forces. Kobilja Glava was one of the settlements that have suffered most during the aggression against BiH. The mosque, as a symbol of the settlement and the Bosniak people and their Islamic identity, was a frequent target of attack of Bosnian Serbs. It was hit in several occasions, by dozens of missiles. On September, the 2nd, 1992., Serbs have begun shelling the mosque. The mosque that was already badly damaged before that day, became a ruin. The minaret withstood 18 direct hits that day, but after the nineteenth hit it collapsed.
Prayers were carried out during the war in houses and makeshift masjids. Already at that time, plans of reconstruction of destroyed mosque were made.
After the war, the restoration work began. At the site of pre-war imam’s house in the mosque courtyard, they made a masjid, which was used until the opening of the new mosque.
At the same time they removed the remains of the demolished mosque and began preparatory work for the building of new mosque. This time, the larger and more beautiful one.
Mosque were partly financed by their own faithful congregation, and some of the humanitarian organizations from the Islamic world, but the largest donor and benefactor was Adil Beg (Bey) Zulfikarpasic. Now, the mosque is named after him. The mosque was opened on 6 June, 1999.


Alipasina Mosque in Sarajevo

Alipasina Mosque is located in Sarajevo. It was built in the 1561. The mosque was built by Hadim Ali pasa (pasha) of Budim’s begler-beg (bey) in 1560/1561 in time when he governed Bosnian pasaluk. The mosque was built in classical style of Istanbul. Ali pasa, who was born in Sarajevsko Polje, wrote in his will that the mosque was to be built beside his tomb by the resources of his endowment. He died in the 1557., and within four years, this building was built.
Alipasina Mosque along with harem in Sarajevo was declared a national monument of Bosnia and Herzegovina in 2005. The mosque is illuminated in 2008. as part of the lighting of buildings in Sarajevo.

 


Begova Mosque in Sarajevo

Gazi Husrev-Begova (Bey’s) Mosque or just Begova Mosque in Sarajevo is due to its dimension and attractiveness one of the most significant monuments of Islamic sacred architecture in the Balkans. Built in 1530., the mosque is an endowment of Gazi Husrev-Beg, the ruler of the Bosnian Sandzak. It was designed by Ajem Esir Ali from Tibris, one of Istanbul's greatest architects and built by the masters from Dubrovnik. The mosque is square in shape with the central dome diameter of 13 m and height of 16 m with many small domes and semi-domes. The interior of the mosque emanates singular artistic atmosphere. There is a fountain beside the mosque, whose water is used for ritual washing before prayers. The present shape with the dome dates from 1893. Since 1530., a well was found in the same place. In the shade of the mosque and centuries-old limes are two burial chambers in which Gazi Husrev-beg and his prisoner, and later friend, Dalmatian Murad Beg Tardic were buried in 1541. Not far from the mosque is clock tower and madrasa (school). In the 16th century, when built, Begova Mosque represented an object of great importance for urban development of Sarajevo and is one of the most significant objects from the rich legacy of Gazi Husrev-beg. This is the first mosque in the world to obtain electrical lighting 1898.

 


Ferhadija in Sarajevo

Ferhadija Mosque is a mosque in Sarajevo. It was built by Ferhat Beg (Bey) Vukovic-Desisalic, the Bosnian Sandzak-beg. It was damaged during the war 1992/95.
It is located in the center of Sarajevo along the main Sarajevo’s promenade, just below the Gazi Husrev’s beg bezistan and taslihan. This is the newest domed mosque in Sarajevo. Ferhat Beg built maktab (school), fountain and imaret (public kitchen) within his mosque. These buildings were destroyed in fire in 1697. Mekteb was renewed by Mehmed-beg Dzenetic, but that building burned down in 1879. as well. Famous Sarajevo’s cronicler Baseskija was a muallim (teacher) in this maktab for a while. Of all Ferhad-beg’s facilities only mosque and the small cemetery around survived to date.


Sarena [Atik] Mosque in Tuzla

Name of Atik, this mosque won because it is probably the oldest mosque in Tuzla, and name of Behram-beg it won by the fact that Behram-beg's madrasa (school) was located across from it, and probably this benefactor ordered its’ restoration and maintenance. It is also due to its decorated interior called Sarena Mosque. Mosque is built on a small hill, its size is 10x10 m and it dominates the surroundings. Before the fire in 1871. it was built of unbaked brick, and with wooden dome. Dome was made of solid material after the rebuilding in 1888., but it was quickly replaced with tile roof. There are ten windows made of crossed iron bars on the ground floor. Interior of the mosque is decorated with various patterns. Minbar was made in Arabic style. The minaret is composed of several parts. From the bottom to the top wall, the mosque is square shaped, with a narrow roof on three sides. The mosque and the haram (courtyard) are secured by the stone retaining wall.

Old Towns

Bascarsija

Bascarsija is Sarajevo's old bazaar and the historical and cultural center of the city. Bascarsija was built in the 15th century when Isa-Beg (Bey) Ishakovic founded the city. Bascarsija word originates from the word "bas" which means "main" in Turkish, so Bascarsija means "main bazaar". Because of the large fire in the 19th century, today’s Bašcaršija is twice smaller than it once was.
Bascarsija is located on the north bank of the River Miljacka, in the Sarajevo’s municipality Stari Grad. There are several important historic buildings in Bascarsija, such as Gazi Husrev-Beg’s (Bey's) Mosque and clock tower. Bascarsija is the main tourist attractions of the city of Sarajevo today.

  


Old Town of Travnik

The only monument of the Middle Ages that has survived is Stari Grad (Kastel). It was built during the Bosnian independence in the first half of the fifteenth century, as it is assumed at the time of the Bosnian king Ostoja or King Tvrtko II. The town consists of several architectural units, very nicely fitted into overall look of the fortress, where the appearance of the terrain and purpose of each bulwark were taken into account. Travnik is the only town in the world with two clock towers.


Mosques
Eighteen mosques of Travnik are famous monuments of Islamic architecture. One of the most famous is Sulejmanija Mosque (Sarena Mosque), which was painted with designs of vines and since 1815. was named after reformer Selejman - pasa (pasha) Skopljak. It is located in the town center along the main street M5, and is a magnet for foreign tourists, as well as our tourists.

 


Old Town of Kljuc

Ruins of Kljuc consists, architecturally speaking, from three separate complexes that have constituted an organic whole, but were not encompassed by a unique system of perimeter walls. The main features of the medieval town are the elongation of base and relatively small area of defended space, but more complicated system of fortifications.
In the narrow sense, the town is located high above Sana, and only this portion was incorporated as a whole in the wall. The core of the medieval fortress with a kind of "suburb" underneath it belongs to this complex. "Suburb", which was located about 50 m below Kapi-kula, was also surrounded by walls, but they have long since collapsed.
On the plateau below the northern bulwark, the ancient material was discovered. The area of that part below the town is overgrown with trees.

 
The town is the oldest and it represents the medieval town of Kljuc. During time, modifications and adjustment to firearms were carried out on several structures. The town consists of several objects erected on uneven, rocky ground with a couple of reefs, which descend abruptly to the south, i.e. to the valley in which lies today’s settlement of Kljuc. From the south it is protected by rocks, i.e. deep ravine, and from the north by high walls, i.e. the protective shield that encompasses the whole complex of medieval fortification. The floor plan of the town is adjusted to the maximum to the long and narrow terrain.
The town of Kljuc is high-altitude town, built during the cold arms, and over time some parts of town or objects were adjusted to firearms.
Tabori lie on the saddle below the town. Basically they are medieval building, and in their present form date from Ottoman times.
Tower of Ljubica, a detached tower, is located on the westernmost and highest stone peak above the town and Tabori.

 

 


Old City of Banja Luka

The citadel Kastel is one of the oldest buildings in Bosnia and Herzegovina. Some remains of archaeological excavations have shown that the fortress existed in the 9th century A.D. At the site of today's Kastel fortress was Roman military stronghold, used to ensure road which connected Split with Pannonia.
After the fall of the Roman Empire, this area was inhabited by Slavs and the old town and citadel were mostly within the Byzantine State (8th-12th century) with periodical rule of Hungarian kings. In the first half of the 12th century Banja Luka was ruled by Bosnian ban Boric.

 


The Turks conquered Banja Luka in the beginning of the 16th century, and by the end of the same century, Banja Luka was significantly rebuilt. Ferhat-pasa (pasha) Sokolovic built the settlement in this area with some 200 public buildings.
Among them was the famous mosque Ferhadija, karavan Saraj, and many craft and trade shops. 1583., Banja Luka became the seat of the Bosnian pashaluk and remained it until 1639.
For all the time of its existence, Banja Luka was the scene of many wars, and its population was either executed or exiled. Also, Banja Luka was ravaged by strong earthquakes, but the city still managed to recover and return. Kastel alone was destroyed many times in the First and Second World War. After the Second World War, Kastel was rebuilt, and again after the terrible earthquake in 1969.
Very well maintained, Kastel today represents one of the events center in Banja Luka, where large number of young people gather around the various facilities. It also represents one of the places to be visited, if ever you get somewhere in that region.

 

 


Old Town of Jajce

The old town, or fortress is the most notable and the most imposing building in Jajce, whose construction marked the formation of the town of Jajce. In short, it is still interesting to our historians for traces of building that existed here before the fortress, which we see and know now, was built and remained for the most part until today. Built stone and travertine, which differ in the lower layers of the fort, and on its basis indicate it.


Old Town of Pocitelj

This unique place is listed on the UNESCO list. Although the town was first mentioned in written records in 1444., it is assumed that it was built by the Bosnian king Tvrtko 1383. This medieval town had a Mediterranean look, but was orientally reshaped after the Turkish conquest. A mixture of these two architectural styles gives Pocitelj an extra dimension.
Besides its stunning oriental architecture and Ottoman "soul", Pocitelj is interesting and well-known as host of the art colony with the longest tradition in South East Europe.
Artists from all over the world come here to create and paint, among other things, shiny red pomegranates and figs, which grow abundantly in the hills around Pocitelj.

 
Hadzi-Alijina Mosque, Sisman-Ibrahimpasina Medresa (School) and Gavrankapetanovica kuca (House) were rebuilt and all of these facilities are open to visitors. The most interesting object in Pocitelj is the clock tower, tall fortress that is at the top of the hill above the town. It was the home to the guards who kept a watchful eye in order to avoid possible enemy invasion through Neretva valley.

 

About us

Our mission is to be one of the leading destination management companies in Bosnia and Herzegovina  with strong commitment to the international travelers to deliver the best of the quality services.
 
Find us on Facebook
Follow Us